H.S. Girls Basketball
|Knott County Central||51||vs.Magoffin County||40||MLK Classic|
|Prestonsburg||59||at Lawrence County||57|
|Rowan County||54||vs. Belfry||46|
|Shelby Valley||83||vs. Allen Central||16|
|South Floyd||65||at Jenkins||43|
|Phelps||-||at Belfry||-||7:30 PM|
|Hazard||-||at Paintsville||-||7:30 PM|
|Sheldon Clark||-||at Pike County Central||-||7:30 PM|
H.S. Boys Basketball
|East Ridge||43||at Allen Central||32|
|Prestonsburg||-||at East Ridge||-||7:30 PM|
|Magoffin County||-||at Pikeville||-||7:30 PM|
|Johnson Central||-||at Sheldon Clark||-||7:30 PM|
|Paintsville||-||at South Floyd||-||7:30 PM|
UK Men’s Basketball
* Kentucky freshman guard Malik Monk was named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week after leading the Wildcats in scoring with 21 points and 3.5 assists per game in wins over Vanderbilt and Auburn. Monk had 18 points against the Commodores and a game-high 24 with six assists in the win over Auburn. Monk shot 48.3 percent from the floor for the week, helping the Cats to 12 games this season where they made at least half of their shots. UK has shot better than 50 percent in all five SEC games. This is Monk’s fourth SEC honor of the season (third Freshman of the Week). The Wildcats will resume action tonight at 7 p.m. as they travel to Mississippi State. The game will air live on ESPN and available on AM 600 WKYH (Johnson Central Boys Basketball game on WSIP).
* University of Louisville junior guard Quentin Snider will be sidelined for 2-3 weeks with a strained hip flexor suffered in the second half of the Cardinals’ victory over Duke last Saturday. Snider suffered the injury on a layup with 18:48 remaining in the second half, but finished the game despite his discomfort. The injury should heal with rest and rehabilitation and does not require surgery.
* The University of Kentucky cheerleaders won their 22nd national championship at the Universal Cheerleaders Association competition Sunday in Orlando, Fla. Competing among Division IA Coed squads, the Wildcats claimed the crown with an amazing score, 97.8 out of a possible 100 points. It was a night for Southeastern Conference excellence as Alabama and Ole Miss finished second and third, respectively. Kentucky won its first national championship in 1985, also winning in 1987-88, 1992, 1995-2002, 2004-06, 2008-10, 2012, 2014 and 2016. The cheerleaders and dance team will be honored Saturday during the men’s basketball game vs. South Carolina.
* A website that's dedicated to following the NBA is reporting that Louisville is a serious contender in possible expansion in the future. 16winsaring.com says expansion couldn't happen until the 2018-'19 season but that 2019-'20 would be more likely. If so, Seattle and Mexico City are the first two on the wish list. But, it says Louisville is "still very much in the picture" to join the league. The article adds that both Seattle and Mexico City could have issues. Seattle with trying to finance an arena and Mexico City because it's two games played there have done very well. Other cities being mentioned with these three are Las Vegas and another one-time NBA city, Vancouver. The article also says about Louisville that it's a "serious contender as things stand now."
H.S. Girls Basketball
|Allen Central||62||at Riverside Christian||49|
|Belfry||47||at Pike County Central||43|
|Greenup County||64||at Lawrence County||49|
|Paintsville||47||at Johnson Central||34|
|Shelby Valley||57||vs. East Ridge||30|
|Sheldon Clark||59||at Magoffin County||44|
|South Floyd||68||at Betsy Layne||48|
|Betsy Layne||58||vs. Hazard||52|
|Johnson Central||57||vs. Pikeville||51|
|Lawrence County||56||vs. Phelps||48|
|Magoffin County||60||vs. East Ridge||59|
|Prestonsburg||64||vs. Allen Central||46|
|Riverside Christian||62||vs. Piarist School||42|
|Magoffin County||-||vs.Knott Co Central (at Rowan Co)||-||11:30 AM MLK Classic|
|South Floyd||-||at Jenkins||-||7:30 PM|
|Prestonsburg||-||at Lawrence County||-||7:30 PM|
|Belfry||-||at Rowan County||-||1:00 PM|
|Allen Central||-||at Shelby Valley||-||7:30 PM|
H.S. Boys Basketball
|Johnson Central||83||vs. Paintsville||68|
|Pike County Central||73||vs. Prestonsburg||63|
|Shelby Valley||63||vs. East Ridge||53|
|South Floyd||78||at Betsy Layne||35|
|Pike County Central||66||vs. Rock Creek Academy, IN||64||Buffalo Wild Wings Shootout|
|Shelby Valley||78||vs.Knott County Central||75||Buffalo Wild Wings Shootout
|Ashland Blazer||68||vs. Paintsville||58|
|Johnson Central||94||vs. South Floyd||72|
|Lawrence County||82||vs. Phelps||50|
|Magoffin County||99||vs. Sheldon Clark||98||(double overtime)|
|Prestonsburg||65||vs. Allen Central||53|
|Riverside Christian||51||vs. Piarist School||39|
|East Ridge||-||at Allen Central||-||7:30 PM|
* Congratulations to the JCHS Dance Team on finishing in 1st place in Varsity POM, JV POM, Varsity Hip Hop, JV Jazz, JV Team Performance and Senior Solo. Also finishing as Runner-up in Varsity Jazz in Regional Dance Competition on Saturday. Both teams will advance into State Competition in their respective categories.
* Congratulations to the JCHS Wrestling Team on finishing in 1st Place in Regional Duals.
* Congratulations to JCHS Sr. Soccer Player Madison Hunter on signing to play Soccer at Midway Univ. on Friday.
UK Men’s Basketball
Malik Monk led all scorers with 24 points and Wenyen Gabriel pulled down a game-high 16 rebounds as the No. 6 Kentucky Wildcats pulled away from Auburn 92-72 on Saturday. UK led 70-64 with 8:04 remaining in the game before outscoring the Tigers 22-8 the rest of the way. Kentucky improves to 15-2 overall and 5-0 in the SEC. Kentucky will be back in action on Tuesday, January 17th at Mississippi State. on ESPN at 7:00 p.m.
UK Women’s Basketball
Senior Evelyn Akhator scored 24 points and pulled down 16 rebounds as the Kentucky women’s basketball team topped Georgia 82-61 on Sunday afternoon at Memorial Coliseum. Sophomore guard Taylor Murray had 14 points for Kentucky, which won its second in a row after dropping three of its previous four games. Senior Makayla Epps had 13 points and six assists for the Wildcats. Kentucky improves to 12-6 overall, 3-2 SEC. Kentucky returns to action on Thursday as they travel to Baton Rouge to face the LSU Tigers. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 2016 CINCINNATI BENGALS SCHEDULE.
COVERAGE OF BENGALS FOOTBALL BROUGHT TO YOU
BY THESE FINE SPONSORS!
STATE FARM INSURANCE - PAUL PELPHREY, AGENT
315 BROADWAY ST.
ROUTE 40 - STAFFORDSVILLE, KY.
IN JOHNSON CO. 606-297-3501
IN MAGOFFIN CO. 606-349-6111
IN LAWRENCE CO. 606-673-3193
JIM GAMBILL'S UNLIMITED REALTY & AUCTION SERIVES - JIM GAMBILL, AUTIONEER
517 Second Street
Paintsville, KY 41240
Tune into CBS Sports Radio AM 600 WKYH for EVERYTHING Univ. of Kentucky on
the Kentucky Sports Radio w/ host Matt Jones Weekdays 10 am to 12pm
(click on the logo to go to their website)
WSIP and OUR SISTER STATION, AM 600 WKYH in PAINTSVILLE, KY
is PROUD TO ANNOUNCE OUR PARTNERSHIP WITH
THE "NEW" CBS SPORTS RADIO!!!!